Administrative Assistant / Office Manager
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Mass Audubon's Joppa Flats Education Center, located on the banks of the Merrimack River and the road to Plum Island and the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge seeks an Office Manager I to assist with the day-to-day administrative duties of Joppa Flats Education Center, and volunteer coordination and communication.
The Office Manager I plays an important and integral role as a welcoming, customer-oriented ambassador of Mass Audubon properties, programs, and mission. This position works with staff across the North Shore region to recruit for and coordinate the volunteer program.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with general office duties: opening and closing the building, answer phones/monitor voice mails and provide information, guidance and direction, as well as processing incoming mail and email.
- Offer polite and professional customer service to all participants, families, volunteers and fellow staff members.
- Assist with program registrations.
- Overseeing the front desk in the Visitors Center, as needed.
- Co-manage small gift shop to include: processing sales and daily cash out, reordering and managing inventory and stocking, shop displays and upkeep as needed.
- Understand, promote and assist in processing Mass Audubon memberships
- Responsible for screening and on-boarding regional volunteers, including process and screen applications, run background checks, and disseminate training materials and volunteer materials.
- Work directly with regional staff managers to support their volunteer needs in all departments; including development of volunteer job descriptions, and project needs for individuals and groups.
- Update Mass Audubon volunteer database and website with regional volunteer opportunities.
- Maintain, utilize and train volunteers to use Mass Audubon’s volunteer database which tracks volunteer hours, schedules, years of service and general contact information.
- Work with Mass Audubon’s Statewide Volunteer Program Manager. Participate in monthly volunteer coordinator meetings, submit annual reports when required, requests and communicate volunteer group needs, and coordinate participation in Mass Audubon’s annual Statewide Volunteer Day.
- Assists with special events, as needed.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Associate’s degree and 1-year related experience or equivalent.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, experience in customer service, and detailed organizational skills preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams and ability to manage specialized databases as developed by Mass Audubon.
- Interest in environmental issues and/or natural history.
- Flexibility and ability to respond to rapidly changing priorities, meet deadlines, and work as an effective team member.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel within Massachusetts.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $18.35 - $20.57 per hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
Benefits and Perks
Benefits eligible staff at Mass Audubon may elect to enroll in medical, dental, and vision plans. Mass Audubon also offers disability and life insurance plans, a retirement plan through MetLife, and Flexible Spending Account options. Mass Audubon employment also includes access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Reciprocity Agreement through the Consortium of Non-Profit Arts/Cultural/Environmental Organizations of New England. Mass Audubon employees also enjoy 12 paid holidays (holidays may shift annually due to where days fall within calendar).
This is a full time position (40 hours per week),
Preferred schedule is Tuesday-Saturday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: