Administrative Assistant / Office Manager
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Mass Audubon’s North Shore Region includes Joppa Flats Education Center in Newburyport, Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary in Topsfield, and Endicott Wildlife Sanctuary in Wenham. Mass Audubon is looking for an energetic, organized, team-oriented Administrative Assistant/Office Manager to coordinate and perform the day-to-day duties and to ensure an overall positive, welcoming, enriching, and safe experience to all of our members, visitors, and program participants while managing office duties and overseeing a small gift shop. This position will be based at the Joppa Flats Education Center in Newburyport, MA.
Job Summary: Provide administrative support at Joppa Flats. Duties, some of which are shared, include visitor services, office management, gift shop management, registration for programs, and volunteer administration. Provide excellent customer service through phone, email, and in-person communications, while projecting a professional image of Mass Audubon. This job requires onsite presence to cover visitor center hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Answer phone calls/monitor voice mails and provide information, guidance, and direction.
- Assist with program registrations and program listings.
- Recruit, schedule, train, and supervise front desk volunteers.
- Manage a small gift shop, including buying, merchandising, and point-of-sale system operation.
- Administer volunteer database.
- Manage visitor center displays and handouts.
- Assist in managing public events.
- Manage organization initiatives, including membership recruitment and personal information protection.
- Manage office supplies.
- Offer polite and professional customer service to all participants, families, and fellow staff members.
- Perform office duties such as creating copies, editing documents, etc.
- Support senior staff as needed.
- Troubleshoot technology with support from IT as needed.
- Act as receptionist as needed answering general inquiries about Mass Audubon and routing questions to appropriate departments.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- One year related experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications or equivalent.
- Flexibility and ability to respond to rapidly changing priorities, meet deadlines, and work as an effective team member.
- Ability to relate to and work with a diverse range of people and exercise cultural awareness and inclusion.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel within Massachusetts.
- Ability to successfully complete Community First Aid/ CPR class
Nice to Have’s:
- Associate’s degree or higher.
- Customer Service/Visitor Service experience preferred.
- Retail experience and Point of Sale software experience helpful.
- Preferably has interest in environmental issues and/or natural history.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $19 - $20.57 per hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
Benefits and Perks:
Benefits eligible staff at Mass Audubon may elect to enroll in medical, dental, and vision plans. Mass Audubon also offers disability and life insurance plans, a retirement plan through MetLife, and Flexible Spending Account options. Mass Audubon employment also includes access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Reciprocity Agreement through the Consortium of Non-Profit Arts/Cultural/Environmental Organizations of New England. Mass Audubon employees also enjoy 12 paid holidays (holidays may shift annually due to where days fall within calendar).
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: