Jobs at Wellfleet Bay
Mass Audubon offers a work environment that is challenging, yet flexible. Our compensation and benefits program is competitive, including a 403(b) plan and generous paid time off. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially. Mass Audubon is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Turtle Field Assistant
Position involves collecting data on state-listed diamondback terrapins in Wellfleet and Orleans. Primary duties are finding, protecting, and monitoring nests of diamondback terrapins on our 1100 acre coastal wildlife sanctuary and other sites around Wellfleet and Orleans. Other duties may include data entry, assisting with a graduate student's terrapin PIT tagging project, weighing, measuring, and releasing the hatchlings, helping to coordinate and oversee the many volunteers who help with the project, radio tracking box turtles, and assisting with turtle-oriented public programs for adults and children. There may be opportunities to help with our horseshoe crab research as well.
- Applicants should have or be working toward a degree in wildlife biology or management, ecology, zoology, environmental science, biology, or other related field;
- Applicants should be in good physical condition, and should be able to work flexible hours;
- Valid drivers license and a reliable vehicle;
- Experience with environmental education and kayaking is a plus;
- Successful candidates will need to pass a background check (CORI, SORI and driver's).
Compensation and Benefits
Pay is $11.00/hour. Dormitory housing might be available at ~$30/week but please indicate if you have access to, or willingness to find, local housing.
Must be willing to work flexible hours.
Position runs mid-May through end of August, possibly longer (preference give to those who can stay longer, since hatching season goes well into the fall).
There is a possibility of staying even later into the fall to help with our sea turtle stranding work in November and December.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter (including dates of availability), resume, and list of three references by March 15 to (email preferred):
Mass Audubon - Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
PO Box 236
South Wellfleet, MA 02663