Volunteer Opportunities at Wachusett Meadow
Wachusett Meadow offers a variety of exciting volunteer opportunities and internships for people of all interests and experience levels. Volunteers are valued members of the Mass Audubon team and provide an important link to our local communities. Whether you have a lifetime interest in nature or are just getting started, Wachusett Meadow has a place for you.
Looking for more ways to help? Check out our full list of volunteer opportunities around the state.
Outreach Team Ambassador
You’d be surprised how many people don’t know about Mass Audubon and what we do.
But you know what Mass Audubon does.
You believe in our mission.
You want to spread the word, get people involved, and tell them what they missing!
YOU are just what we need on our Outreach Team.
As an Outreach Team Ambassador, you will represent Mass Audubon and its Central Sanctuaries at local events, such as festivals and fairs. You can join the team with a friend or meet new friends when you join.
If you are looking for a fun, fulfilling way to help Mass Audubon and a worthwhile reason to get out into the world - this is it.
- If you are doing set-up, you pick up the outreach cart at Broad Meadow Brook, arrive at the event early to set up our display in an engaging and organized way. (For a couple events, this may include bringing and setting up a table.)
- You pleasantly greet folks, share our mission/work/sanctuaries/programs, answer questions, hand out literature
- When applicable, you set up and do simple nature-themed craft with kids.
- You record the number of visitors on Event Report sheet, as well as thoughts, feedback, impressions, ideas for the future.
- If you are doing break-down, you repack the cart in an orderly way, and return it to Broad Meadow Brook.
- You’re friendly and approachable.
- You care about nature and environmental issues. (Knowledge is a plus, but not required. You will learn lots as you go along, but your job is not to have all the answers.)
- You enjoy speaking with people at events, and are both a good listener and communicator.
- You possess self-confidence and a professional demeanor.
- You work well independently, and as part of a team.
- You are reliable and punctual.
- You are able to walk, stand, and sit for period of time.
Compensation and Benefits
- You enjoy a 15% discount on gift shop merchandise, (Exclusions may apply.)
- You receive free admission to our sanctuary.
Requirements and Commitment:
- You"ll attend an initial Outreach Team training.
- You'll attend Outreach Team meetings every other month.
- Need to pass a background records check (CORI, SORI, and driver's).
How to Apply
Outreach Coordinator Darlene O’Connor would love to hear from you! Contact her at 508-753-6087 x5019 or reach out to her via email: