Jobs at Joppa Flats
Mass Audubon offers a work environment that is challenging, yet flexible. Our compensation and benefits program is competitive, including a 403(b) plan and generous paid time off. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially. Mass Audubon is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Family and Youth Education Internship - Fall 2019
The Family and Youth Education Intern will spend the early part of their internship assisting with the implementation of field trips offered onsite at the Joppa Flats Education Center and offsite on the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge and Plum Island. Themes may include coastal ecology, marine biology, environmental awareness and stewardship, bird banding and migration, and invasive species. Field trips may include sandy beaches, rocky shores, tide pools, salt marshes, rivers, and ponds. For the later half of the term, the focus will transition to the development and planning of seasonal family open house celebrations and the implementation of self-guided interactives and table-top science displays with a monthly theme to engage visitors at our Education Center.
- Assist naturalists with school and family field trips on Plum Island at the sandy beach, rocky shore, bird banding station, salt marsh and maritime forest
- Preparation, planning and assisting naturalists with in-school programs, afterschool programs and homeschool programs for preschool through grade 6
- Develop and plan activities with a science and art focus for our seasonal family open house events
- Develop a monthly ecology-based theme for self-guided activities and table-top displays in our Education Center for visitors of all ages
- At least 18 years of age or a senior in high school
- Experience with people of all ages, interests, and backgrounds
- Demonstrates creativity, reliability, flexibility, and enthusiasm
- Possesses strong communication skills; both written and oral
- Local knowledge of New England coastal ecology and rocky shore species a plus but not required
- Experience with outdoor activities such as birding and tide pooling
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver's)
- Valid driver’s license
- First aid & CPR certification is preferred but not required
Compensation and Benefits
This is an unpaid internship.
Commitment 12-14 weeks
12 hours per week minimum
Some weekend dates are required
No phone calls please.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to: