Canoe Rentals at Ipswich River
Available May 30 through October 15, 2022
Canoe rental season begins Memorial Day weekend - October 15, 2022: Tuesday- Sunday and Monday holidays (weather permitting) based on availability. *No canoe rental on July 4th, 2022. Sanctuary is closed for the holiday.
We provide paddles, PFDs, and a key to unlock the canoe at the canoe landing on the river. Please note that the canoe landing is approximately a 10-minute walk from the Visitor Center.
- Weekdays: $20 for the first 2 hours and $10 for every additional hour per canoe.
- There is a 2-hour minimum for all rentals.
- Weekends: $30 flat fee for half day (3.5 hour) rental, $60 for full day per canoe.
- Due to demand, weekend canoe rentals are limited to AM Rentals (9:00 am-12:00 pm) or PM Rentals (12:30-3:30 pm) only.
Canoes and equipment must be returned no later than 3:30pm.
Rules & Restrictions
- Renters must be current Mass Audubon members and at least 18yrs of age. (We can process/renew memberships upon arrival.)
- No reservations - Availability is limited on a first come first serve basis.
- Maximum of 2 canoe rentals per member.
- Each canoe accommodates a maximum of 3 adults or 2 adults with 2 small children.
- Rentals include PFD (personal flotation devices) and canoe paddles.
- Canoe landing and boat rack is a .3 mile hike from the Visitors Center down the Bunker Meadow trail to the Ipswich River Trail.
- Canoes are locked on canoe racks and are heavy (70-80 pounds), requiring 2 adults to access canoes from racks and get into the water.
- The canoes can only be used in the Ipswich River and within the boundaries of the sanctuary. No canoes are permitted in Bunker Meadow.
- We recommend paddling upstream when leaving our canoe launch and return downstream.
- Canoes and equipment must be returned no later than 3:30pm.
- All renters must wear a PFD (personal flotation device) in canoes at all times.
- Visitors are not permitted to launch their own canoe/kayaks from our landing.
- No alcohol, pets or fishing are permitted.
- Dress for the weather.
- Wear close-toed shoes that can get wet.
- Bring a dry bag, sunscreen, bug spray, and water bottles.