Fern & Feather Preschool at Felix Neck
Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary will offer a nature preschool in Edgartown for children ages 3-5.
Our program, which has an anticipated opening of fall 2019, will feature:
- Highly qualified teachers with backgrounds in early childhood and nature education.
- Nature-based, emergent curriculum that promotes language, math, science, art, music, and social development.
- Beautiful classroom space in our new Education & Camp Barn, outdoor play areas, and gardens on our 200-acre sanctuary.
Preschool Startup Fund
To make this preschool a reality, we need the support of our Island community. Please help us reach our goal of opening in fall 2019!
→ Would you like to be added to our preschool waitlist?
If so, or if you have any questions, please contact Felix Neck by email or by calling 508-627-4850.
Felix Neck’s Fern and Feather Preschool will support children's individual growth and innate curiosity through nature-based learning and discovery.
At Fern and Feather Preschool, we believe that spending time in nature will support multiple developmental realms. Children will spend a substantial part of their day outdoors engaged in multi-sensory exploration and cooperative play. We will provide a safe, supportive learning environment that nurtures children’s innate curiosity, the need to explore, and the joy of discovery.
Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary’s 200-acre landscape provides four-miles of trails with spectacular views of the woodlands, meadows, ponds, saltmarshes, and barrier beach. This outdoor classroom offers limitless opportunities for exciting daily investigations, observations, and discoveries through the changing seasons. Our indoor space is a brand-new post and beam barn completed in 2018.
- Age: Children must be ages 3–5; all children must be at least 3 years old by September 1 to enroll.
- Class Size: The maximum class size is between 10-20 students; the staff to child ratio will be 1:5.
- Academic Year: The academic year will run from early September to early June; vacations and holidays will coincide with the Martha’s Vineyard Public Schools calendar.
Outdoor exploration comprises the majority of our curriculum at Fern and Feather Preschool. Children are immersed in nature exploration through cooperative studies and shared discoveries, an important part of our structured and unstructured learning. These explorations guide the curriculum which includes experience in science, math, art, language arts, and music.
Fern and Feather Preschool staff will be certified by the Department of Early Education and Care and have years of experience teaching young children. They will be certified in first aid and CPR, and attend professional development classes annually as members of Mass Audubon’s Education Team.