Fern & Feather Preschool at Felix Neck
2023 Open Houses
Thursday, January 26, 5:00-6:00 pm (In-Person)
Please RSVP by emailing Anne Ouwerkerk for either event.
Preschool Scholarship Fund
We believe that nature based early childhood education should be available to all children in our community. Please lend your support by donating today!
Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary offers a nature preschool in Edgartown for children ages 2.9 to 5.
Our program, which opened its doors in September 2019, features:
- Highly qualified teachers with backgrounds in early childhood and nature education.
- Nature-based, emergent curriculum that promotes literacy, math, science, art, music, self-help skills, physical development, communication skills, and social-emotional development.
- Beautiful classroom space in our Education & Camp Barn and outdoor play areas among woodlands, fields, seashores, and gardens on our 200-acre wildlife sanctuary.
Felix Neck's Fern & Feather Preschool supports children's individual growth and innate curiosity through nature-based learning and discovery.
At Fern & Feather Preschool, we believe that spending time in nature supports multiple developmental realms. Our students spend a substantial part of their day outdoors engaged in multi-sensory exploration and cooperative play.
We provide a safe, supportive learning environment that nurtures children’s innate curiosity, the need to explore, and the joy of discovery.
Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary's 200-acre landscape provides four-miles of trails through woodlands, meadows, ponds, salt marshes, and beaches. This outdoor classroom offers limitless opportunities for exciting daily investigations, observations, and discoveries through the changing seasons. Our indoor space is a brand-new post and beam barn completed in 2018.
- Age: Children must be ages 2.9 to 5; all children must be at least 2.9 years old by September 1 to enroll.
- Class Size: The class size is 18 students per day; the staff to child ratio is 1:7.
- Academic Year: The academic year runs from early September to early June. Vacations and holidays coincide with the Martha's Vineyard Public Schools calendar.
Fern and Feather Preschool provides children with opportunities to explore the natural world through music, art, science, math, and literacy, while nurturing social emotional development. Children’s interests and investigations guide our curriculum over the course of the day, week, month, and seasons. Teachers work as researchers alongside students, carefully listening to their interests, assisting in defining their questions as a place to begin investigations and express their knowledge. Teachers provoke, co-construct, stimulate new thinking, and foster collaboration.
While nature and outdoor exploration comprise the majority of our curriculum, we will be introducing students to early learning and pre-academic skills. Our curriculum is guided by best practices in early childhood education and is rooted in the Massachusetts Guidelines for Preschool Learning Experiences, Developmentally Appropriate Practice (NAEYC) and Massachusetts Early Childhood Education Standards
Fern & Feather Preschool staff is certified by the Department of Early Education and Care and have years of experience teaching young children. They are certified in first aid and CPR, and attend professional development classes annually as members of Mass Audubon's education team.
Fern & Feather Preschool offers our families a full-day program (9:00 am–3:00 pm), with the option of attending 2, 3, or 5 days per week.
Weekly Program Options
→ Please Note: Families provide lunch and snacks for their children each day.
Monday through Friday
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Interested in more information? Want to be added to our preschool waitlist?
Contact Felix Neck by email or call us at 508-627-4850 with any questions you may have.