Fern & Feather Preschool at Felix Neck
Thursday, December 12, 2019 (4-5 pm)
Saturday, January 25, 2020 (10-11 am)
Preschool Scholarship Fund
We wish for this nature-based program to be more accessible for the children of our island community. Please lend your support by donating today!
Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary offers a nature preschool in Edgartown for children ages 2.9 to 5.
Our program, which opened its doors in September 2019, features:
- Highly qualified teachers with backgrounds in early childhood and nature education.
- Nature-based, emergent curriculum that promotes language, math, science, art, music, and social development.
- Beautiful classroom space in our Education & Camp Barn and outdoor play areas among woodlands, fields, seashores, and gardens on our 200-acre wildlife sanctuary.
Felix Neck's Fern & Feather Preschool supports children's individual growth and innate curiosity through nature-based learning and discovery.
At Fern & Feather Preschool, we believe that spending time in nature supports multiple developmental realms. Our students spend a substantial part of their day outdoors engaged in multi-sensory exploration and cooperative play.
We provide a safe, supportive learning environment that nurtures children’s innate curiosity, the need to explore, and the joy of discovery.
Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary's 200-acre landscape provides four-miles of trails through woodlands, meadows, ponds, salt marshes, and beaches. This outdoor classroom offers limitless opportunities for exciting daily investigations, observations, and discoveries through the changing seasons. Our indoor space is a brand-new post and beam barn completed in 2018.
- Age: Children must be ages 2.9 to 5; all children must be at least 2.9 years old by September 1 to enroll.
- Class Size: The class size is 12 students per day; the staff to child ratio is 1:6.
- Academic Year: The academic year runs from early September to early June. Vacations and holidays coincide with the Martha's Vineyard Public Schools calendar.
Immersed in the natural world, the children guide us through a play-based emergent curriculum. With an emphasis on getting outside, the curriculum grows from the interests sparked during the children's free play.
As the children collect sticks to build a fort, they are challenged to work cooperatively, discover their own strengths, and interact with the physics of weight and size. When a child finds a caterpillar, scientific observation and investigation begins, leading to the collection of more insects, the creation of small habitats in a terrarium, drawings, and stories.
Every curiosity, every question, every conflict, is supported and celebrated as we are fully immersed in new understandings of math, science, art & expression, literacy, and social and emotional development. The world is filled with infinite possibilities just waiting to be discovered!
Fern & Feather Preschool staff is certified by the Department of Early Education and Care and have years of experience teaching young children. They are certified in first aid and CPR, and attend professional development classes annually as members of Mass Audubon's Education Team.
Fern & Feather Preschool offers our families a full-day program (9:00 am–3:00 pm), with the option of attending 2, 3, or 5 days per week.
Weekly Program Options
→ Please Note: Families provide lunch and snacks for all preschool options.
Monday through Friday
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Two options are available for an additional charge:
- Early drop-off (8:30-9:00 am)
- Late pick-up (3:00-3:45 pm)
Interested in more information? Want to be added to our preschool waitlist?
Contact Felix Neck by email or call us at 508-627-4850 with any questions you may have.