The Salt Marsh Science Project engages high school teachers and students in authentic science experiences. Our model: High School Teachers, in partnership with professional scientists, and an education coordinator conduct investigations on salt marshes .
- Monitoring the growth of the invasive reed, Phragmites in salt marshes.
- Studying the effect of salinity (salt content) levels on the growth of salt marsh vegetation.
- Assessing tidal restrictions (where human actions have obstructed the natural flow of the tide).
- Sampling fish above and below tidal restrictions to determine the impact of these restrictions on fish.
- Investigating how salt marshes are responding to rising sea level.
HS-ESS3-5 - Earth and Human Activity - global or regional climate change
HS-LS2-1 - Ecosystems--Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics - (a)biotic factors and carrying capacity
HS-LS2-6 - Ecosystems--Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics - change and resilience in ecosystems
HS-LS2-7 - Ecosystems--Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics - human activities affect on ecosystems