Endicott Wildlife Sanctuary is home to the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary Nature Preschool and serves as a base for several of Mass Audubon’s staff and program activities, including the Salt Marsh Science Project.
The sanctuary has a short walking trail through mature mixed forest with views over a wet meadow.
→ Due to the preschool program, please enter the building by appointment only. ←
346 Grapevine Road Wenham, MA
Get directions or contact us >
Trails: Open daily, dawn to dusk
Free, donations appreciated
Details & map >
- The Ipswich River Nature Preschool, which offers programs for ages 3-5 in nature-based emergent curriculum, creative classrooms, outdoor play areas, and gardens.
- Towering hardwoods and conifers growing along rugged ravines.
- Wet meadow habitat hosting a high diversity of native grasses and sedges.
- Historic roots; the property was once owned by descendants of John Endicott, first colonial Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- A raised bed vegetable garden and nature play area for children in the Nature Preschool program
All of the land at our wildlife sanctuaries is protected. By conserving these open spaces, Mass Audubon, along with our members and partners, is able to fulfill its mission of protecting the nature of Massachusetts. When visiting, please take note of the following regulations:
- No dog walking or horseback riding; please leave all animals and pets at home (service animals welcome)
- No walking off trail
- No collecting or picking natural items
- No bike riding or operating motorized vehicles; day passes are available for powered mobility devices
- No running, swimming, or camping
- No operating drones or other remote-controlled vehicles
- No fishing, hunting, trapping, or releasing of animals
- No feeding wildlife
- No smoking
Mass Audubon welcomes visitors to capture the beauty and wonder of our statewide network of wildlife sanctuaries through photography. If you would like to use a wildlife sanctuary for commercial photography purposes, please review the complete guidelines and learn how to schedule a time.