At our Nature Center admission window, you can pick up trail information including a guide in printed or Braille format, and a printed or tactile trail map. We have adaptive items available for loan, including hands-free binoculars (on a tripod), audio players, a walking cane with a small seat, and a push wheelchair.
Ice Pond Trail
Ice Pond Trail is a woodland walk along the edge of a small pond, running from the parking lot to the admissions window at our Nature Center. This trail provides a quiet spot away from the busier sections of the farm. While the trail does meet ADA guidelines for grade and surfacing, you may find portions to be steep or strenuous. As with all outdoor trails, please watch your step, since surfaces may be wet or slippery at times depending on recent weather conditions.
Distance: 350-foot accessible pathway
- five-foot wide crushed stone surface.
- A guide rope is provided along the entire Ice Pond trail, attached to the top of a fence.
- Round beads along the rope indicate the location of a narrated stop where you will find a sign within reach with the stop name and number in print and Braille.
- A square bead indicates that there is seating nearby.
This trail takes you from the main entrance at the Drumlin Farm Nature Center, past the wildlife exhibits and the many barns and animals of the farmyard, and back to the Nature Center. Visiting all eleven stops on the Farmyard Loop trail takes about 30 minutes, although you can easily spend one and a half to two hours enjoying the animals and natural habitats along the Farmyard Loop. The trail also includes several optional detours to the wilder areas of the sanctuary, some covering rougher ground, which you are welcome to explore if you choose to.
Distance: 0.4 mile roundtrip trail
- The surface is a combination of nine-foot wide paved walkway and hard-packed road.
- The path slopes downhill from the Nature Center between markers 8 and 10, with benches available for rest stops at the steepest sections.
- There is a picnic area after stop 17.
There is an audio tour for both segments of our accessible trail. You can access the audio tour three ways:
- You can call 781-443-7154 on your cell phone. This tour is available by phone April thru December.
- You can borrow an audio player at the Nature Center admission window.
- You can download the Audio Tour from our website and play it on your personal audio player when you visit.
Ice Pond Trail
Farm Yard Loop