About Canoe Meadows
Located just one mile from the center of Pittsfield, Canoe Meadows brings wilderness to Berkshire County’s largest city, attracting warblers, turtles, ospreys, otters, and the occasional bear at different times of year.
Gentle, flat trails wind through the sanctuary’s scenic woods, fields, and wetlands, and along the edge of the Housatonic River.
- Weekly guided bird walks in spring and fall.
- Spectacular scenery observed from various points on the trail.
- Home to a Community Garden, accessible to local green thumbs who want to grow organic vegetables and flowers for a small fee.
- Sackett Brook, the restored flowing stream and floodplain forest.
- More than 60 acres of contiguous open field, which provides critical breeding habitat for grassland birds.
- Programs regularly offered through Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary.
Trails: Daily, 7 am to dusk
Free, donations appreciated