BNC trails are open; restrooms available; Nature Center closed—click for more info.
The hospital was placed under the control of the Commonwealth in 1909, and was expanded greatly in the 1920s and 30s, as shown in this 1938 aerial photograph by the United States Geological Survey. Notice also American Legion Highway, completed in 1932. The site of the future GRWECC was situated between the east wing of B Building and A Building. Courtesy United States Geological Survey.