Jobs at Boston Nature Center
Mass Audubon offers a work environment that is challenging, yet flexible. Our compensation and benefits program is competitive, including a 403(b) plan and generous paid time off. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially. Mass Audubon is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Pathways to Nature Preschool - Substitute Teacher
The Preschool Teacher must possess a love of nature and teaching outdoors with children ages 2.9 to 6 years old. The teacher works with a team of educators to implement a multi-sensory, hands-on/minds-on, nature-based science curriculum; incorporating emergent language and math experiences along with creative arts, music, cooking and the development of social skills. The majority of each day is spent outdoors, exploring the 67 acre wildlife sanctuary with the preschoolers. The teacher maintains clear communication with the Lead Teacher to ensure developmentally appropriate teaching practices/activities are being implemented. The teacher will connect with families, assist the Lead Teacher as needed, and maintain a warm, professional relationship with children, their parents and caregivers.
- Provides a physically and emotionally safe environment for young children both indoor and outdoor settings
- Help support a curriculum that reflects the needs of the children, the standards for early childhood education and the mission of Mass Audubon
- Follows Pathways to Nature Preschool Behavior Management Plan and all other preschool regulations
- Helps maintain the physical environment by contributing to housekeeping tasks as needed/requested
- Preschool teachers spend 2 or more hours daily outdoors with the students during all seasons, except in high winds, extreme cold, rain or sleet.
- Maintains schedule as determined by the Preschool Director
- Experience and/or education classes focused on providing education and care to young children.
- EEC Preschool Teacher certification is preferred but not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and independently required.
- Demonstrated ability to promote and respect diversity of ethnic, cultural, linguistic backgrounds and, physical and mental disabilities.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to helping others grow in understanding of and concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it.
- Fluency in English/Spanish (or other language) is desirable.
- Current first aid/CPR or willing to obtain required.
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI, and fingerprinting).
Compensation and Benefits
Rate of Pay: $12.00 - $16.00/hr
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Substitute Preschool Teacher Position
c/o Jean Dorcus, Preschool Director
Boston Nature Center
500 Walk Hill Street
Mattapan, MA 02126