Arcadia is Celebrating 75 Years in the Pioneer Valley
75 Years of Inspiring Nature Heroes • Community-Supported Since Day One
Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary is an ecological gem and education innovator. For its 75 years of existence, Arcadia has been a protector of land and important wildlife habitats as well as an innovator in environmental education and addressing the climate crisis.
Celebrate with Us!
We're planning a yearlong celebration of fun events and programs in honor of our 75th Anniversary. All events are open to the public and people of all ages and abilities.
Arcadia's 75th Birthday Party
Saturday, January 12 • 10 am-1 pm
Come celebrate Arcadia’s 75 years of inspiring nature heroes with the community that makes it possible! Join Sanctuary Director Jonah Keane for a talk at 10:00 am about what makes Arcadia such a special place and how you can get involved. The talk will be followed at 11:30 am with a small celebration including birthday cake, wish-making art, and savory snacks. The whole family is welcome! Kids activities are available throughout so you can enjoy the talk while the kids have fun and learn. This event is FREE, but registration is required.
Arcadia Nature Day Camp Celebration
Stay tuned for more details about this event.
Arcadia Celebration Weekend
Nature, stories, music, and memories! More information coming soon.
Take Action & Stay Connected
- Take the 3-2-1 Climate Countdown Pledge >
- Stay in touch on Facebook >
- Subscribe to our monthly e-news >
- Your support makes Arcadia’s work possible—make a gift today >
Become a Leadership Friend
With a gift of $750 or more, you'll join a dedicated and passionate group of individuals who embody what it means to be nature heroes. Leadership Friends provide critical funds to help safeguard our land and habitats, protect our birds and wildlife, and teach and inspire the next generation.
- Matching Gift Opportunity! A generous supporter has offered to donate $750 for every new Leadership Friends member (up to 10) that joins during Arcadia's 75th anniversary celebrations. Join the Leadership Friends Program >
Build with Us!
If you would like to make a capital project gift of $5,000 or more to support an Outdoor Education Pavilion and/or carbon reduction improvements, please contact Sanctuary Director Jonah Keane. A gift of $75,000 will include naming rights for the new pavilion.
75th Anniversary Sponsors
We are incredibly grateful to the following companies for sponsoring Arcadia's year-long 75th Anniversary Celebration!
In 1944, a gift of land from the Chaffee family brought Arcadia into being and created a natural oasis for people and wildlife within miles of the busy downtowns of Northampton and Easthampton.
For its 75 years of existence, Arcadia has been a protector of land and important wildlife habitats as well as an innovator in environmental education and addressing the climate crisis.
Arcadia’s many firsts include:
- First land conserved in Northampton
- First Mass Audubon nature camp
- First nature preschool in Massachusetts
- First middle and high school climate science curriculum developed for Pioneer Valley schools
- First Mass Audubon Climate Action Center
The people of Arcadia—volunteers, camp families, program participants, preschoolers, visitors, donors, and staff—made these firsts happen. And seven decades of work have had a powerful positive impact on the Pioneer Valley.
Before Arcadia’s formation, Northampton had no protected land. Today 25% of Northampton is conservation land.
Support and engagement through our 75th Anniversary Celebration makes it possible for Arcadia to provide high-impact public programs for youth and adults that:
- Nurture nature heroes through the Life in Changing Climate program for middle and high schoolers, nature preschool, adult education programs, and camps for young people.
- Provide habitat for wildlife on our protected lands that stretch across the Valley.
- Give people hope and tools to address climate change through serving as a Climate Action Center and bridging the work of environmental education, advocacy, and conservation.
- Support high school students to implement climate solutions here in the Valley by organizing Youth Climate Summits in collaboration with the Hitchcock Center.