General Information & Rental Policies
Thank you for your interest in holding a function at Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary.
Community residents and Mass Audubon members alike cherish Allens Pond for its stupendous beauty and captivating wildlife. Our vision is that our wildlife sanctuary will be recognized as the place for people to embrace their passion for the South Coast by sharing environmental experiences; connecting to self, sanctuary and community; and protecting and stewarding significant wildlife habitat for all generations.
We welcome a limited number of facility rentals as a means to engage members or non-profit organizations who seek to spread their appreciation for our sanctuary to new audiences who might also become champions for nature.
|For Weddings||For Other Events|
Wedding receptions are only available at Stone Barn Farm.
Allens Pond offers an unheated stone barn, agricultural fields, and beach-side overlooks with magnificent views of the pond and bay. These fields and natural habitats are also home to a wide variety of birds, reptiles, mammals, amphibians, insects, and plants. Many of our wildlife residents are rare, endangered, or of special concern.
Our goal is to serve as a model for ecological management to protect and steward the nature of Massachusetts right here on the South Coast. Together we will be able to host your event in a way that is compatible with habitat management, wildlife conservation, and environmental education.
Supporting Our Mission With Your Event
The integration of Mass Audubon’s mission into an event is crucial to any facility rental. Doing so shows your commitment to supporting Mass Audubon, valuing the work we do, and honoring the land we protect and steward for future generations of wildlife and people.
Please note that facility rentals are only available to Mass Audubon members. Not a member? You can join today or when you book your event with us.
Educational Engagement Activity
Once your event is booked, we will then help you determine how our mission can be integrated into your event. Based on the type and length of your event, we will work with you to weave in your choice of an engaging educational component that highlights the property and wildlife. Options for this component include:
- A slide show
- Written materials
- A seasonal or youth program conducted by our teacher-naturalist
- Trail walks
- Service learning activities
- ...and/or a custom-designed, hands-on component or presentation!
Community service activities are particularly welcome to be part of your event and often provide a meaningful way for participants to bond and be enriched by the stewardship experience. Such activities could include a beach clean-up, trail work, or gardening.
We also encourage you to incorporate self-guided tours for guests to enjoy before and after an event.
Please Note: At Stone Barn Farm, we have installed interpretive pieces in the restrooms, kitchen, and throughout the building. These signs are to remain visible and intact at all times in the manner that we have installed them.
Important Information & Policies
Mass Audubon’s goals and tax-exempt status place primary emphasis on educating audiences, not providing services to rental consumers. Our facilities will not meet the needs of many who seek a "traditional" facility for their private event. Our staff is happy to discuss your needs and suggest alternatives if our purposes don’t align.
If you are interested in renting our facilities, please read the following information carefully and then contact the Allens Pond’s field station to speak to a staff member, ask questions, or arrange a property tour. We are also happy to provide information on local businesses who are familiar with our facilities and can provide food, music, photography, and floral arrangements.
- All facility rentals are scheduled and priced on a per-hour basis, determined at the time of contract signing, with a minimum rental period of five hours.
- The agreed upon rental period must include all setup and breakdown activities, including caterers.
- The delivery and pickup of any tents and/or rental items as well as the arrival time of caterers and other service providers must be confirmed at least two weeks in advance.
- We will try to accommodate delivery and contractor constraints, however other uses of our facility may limit flexibility; if delivery or removal does not fit within the rental time period, the charge for extra time will be calculated and added to the contract or invoice.
Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary encourages the use of ecologically-friendly decorations, plates, utensils, other party supplies, and natural resources such as water. Please expect to work with us in planning a “greener” event!
Mass Audubon Membership
Use of Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary for a private function is only available to Mass Audubon members.
Applicants who are not members and interested in renting facilities at Allens Pond must join as members at the Family ($65) level or above before a rental agreement can be signed. Payment for membership must be sent separately from any deposit as a check made payable to Mass Audubon.
The Stone Barn and sanctuary grounds are available for functions on weekdays, weekends, and holidays. Events must be scheduled to begin no later than 5:00 pm and must end by 10:00 pm, including equipment delivery, setup, breakdown, and cleanup.
In addition, setup for a function cannot begin before 11:00 am on the day of the event without prior approval and coordination with Mass Audubon staff.
Allens Pond staff schedules all dates for wedding ceremonies and other functions. Time can be added to any event for setup and breakdown for an additional hourly fee.
Capacity & Amenities
Due to parking constraints, the capacity at the Field Station location (outdoor only) is capped at 200 people. Guests are strongly encouraged to carpool whenever possible. Attendance in the Stone Barn is capped at 50 people unless prior arrangements are made that may require conditions of tent rental and portable toilets.
Use of Mass Audubon chairs in the Stone Barn is included in the standard rental fee. A limited number of tables are available. Caterers may rent other types of furniture for the day, with approval from Mass Audubon staff.
Caterers will need to supply external power, and water. Musical groups must meet staff approval.
Other Sanctuary Policies
- Consumption of alcohol is limited to beer and wine and must comply with organizational policies.
- Smoking is limited to small areas outdoors of buildings.
- Open flames and combustion heat sources in the barn are prohibited.
- No pets are allowed on sanctuary property (with the exception of service animals).
- Threats to our ecological systems are prohibited. This includes application of insecticides; release of animals; scattering of rice or birdseed; use of balloons, noisemakers, kites, or hay bales (straw bales are allowed); motorized vehicles on trails; and loud music.