2020 Allens Pond Duck Derby Results
3,024 Ducks Raced on the Incoming Tide & "Richard" Took First Place
Race raised over $24,000 for Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary
This was a fantastic 17th year for the Allens Pond Duck Derby, and our first-ever virtual event was a smashing success! Some 3,024 rubber ducks raced on the incoming tide at Barney's Joy, and FUN 107's Michael Rock was there to call the play-by-play alongside Sanctuary Director Gina Purtell.
Lydia Giordano (South Dartmouth, MA) was thrilled to hear that "Richard" had won her the Grand Prize! The namesake of her winning duck was there when she got the news, and honored to learn he had inspired the lucky duck's name.
Asked where she might go on her grand prize trip, Lydia mentioned "somewhere out west," and named San Diego and San Francisco before speculating that Napa Valley might just be the perfect setting for an extraordinary dinner for four. "Which is perfect," Lydia added, "since there are four people in our family."
This year's race took place Saturday, August 15. While we were sad to not have the usual crowd of spectators due to COVID-19, the enthusiasm of the skeleton crew running the show definitely made up for it!
It was a cool day with a bit of a wind, but spirits were high as the ducks bobbed their way to the finish line. A total of 14 prizes were on the line, including the Grand Prize—dinner for four anywhere in the United States, including round-trip domestic airfare and lodging for two nights! While the winners all hail from Massachusetts and Rhode Island, this year's race drew competitors from as far away as Georgia, Florida, Kansas, Colorado, California, and even Alaska.
In lieu of an in-person festival the next day, a race recap video narrated by FUN 107's Michael Rock premiered on Allens Pond's Facebook page on Sunday night. The video was followed by a live announcement of the top three winners. Our first-ever virtual "viewing party" attracted over 100 viewers!
Duck sponsorship sales brought in over $24,000 to support Allens Pond! And it's not over yet . . .We hope our online auction will bring us the rest of the way to our $30,000 goal.
So if your duck didn't win, you still can. The online auction ends at 8:00 pm EDT on Thursday, August 20. If you've been eyeing an item or two, don't wait to place your bids—three packages have already sold!
Endless thanks go out to all of the volunteers who supported the event. Garrett Stuck and his crew worked hard to re-engineer the race course equipment to accommodate a smaller, socially-distanced race team. Donna Amaral pulled together a stunning array of silent auction items, and Sally Johnston secured our wonderful race prizes. We are supremely grateful to FUN 107s Michael Rock, whose enthusiasm made the race recap as entertaining as it was suspenseful.
And of course, this event would not be possible if not for the local businesses who donated prizes and auction items, particularly our generous Grand Prize Sponsors: The Bayside Restaurant, Sylvan Nursery, BayCoast Bank, Oppenheimer, Fiber Optic Center, Whaling City Sound, and Milbury and Company. Please let of all these businesses and individuals know you appreciate their commitment to environmental conservation and education.
This tremendous combined support is what makes it possible for all duck sponsorship fees to directly to support the sancutuary's habitats, trails, programs, bird monitoring, community science, and research.
Below is the official list of winners for the 2020 Allens Pond Duck Derby, in descending order, from 'Slacker Quacker' (last duck in) to the Grand Prize winner ("Richard").
If You're a Prize Winner!
You will receive an email specifying what you won, and your prize will be mailed to the address you used to pay for your duck sponsorship within the next few days. Please call the Field Station at 508-636-2437 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive an email or have any other questions.
Listed by Prize ($ Value) | "Duck Name" & Winner Name | Winner's Town/State
- Slacker Quacker – One free duck entry for 2021 Duck Derby ($10 value), "Ripley" & Mary Waite, Dartmouth, MA
- Stealth Duck – Free "Box of 13 Quackers" for 2021 Duck Derby ($100 value), "Sarah" & Christopher Hitchener, North Scituate, RI
- Prize 12 – Lloyd Center for the Environment, family membership ($50 value), "Julie" & Jack Cheng, Waban, MA
- Prize 11 – Joe’s Original Kitchen + Bar Gift Certificate ($50), "Duckleberry Finn" & Ray Luis, New Bedford, MA
- Prize 10 - Folia Gift Certificate ($50) "Leonides" & Angelo Manioudakis, Boston, MA
- Prize 9 – Farm & Coast Market Gift Certificate ($50), "Re-tired" & Ron Ellis, Mattapoisett, MA
- Prize 8 – Davolls General Store Gift Certificate ($50), "Calamity Jane" & Brian Freyermuth, Medford, MA
- Prize 7 - Dartmoor Gift Certificate ($50), "Donald" & William Miller, Leverett, MA
- Prize 6 – Dartmouth Building Supply Gift Certificate ($50), "Pops" & Jennifer Meyer, Brookline MA
- Prize 5 – Cape Cod Cupola Gift Certificate ($75), "Little Lou" & Andrew Catania, Weymouth, MA
- Prize 4 – Lees Market Gift Certificate ($100), "Juno" & Edward Bigelow, Dedham, MA
- Prize 3 – Salt Marsh Pottery Gift Certificate ($130), "Heavenly Helena" & Kayla Lagarde, Westport, MA
- Prize 2 - New Bedford Symphony Orchestra 2 season tickets ($680 value), "Quackie Lackie" & Lori Lincoln Viera, Dartmouth, MA
- Grand Prize - Dinner for 4 anywhere in the US (priceless), "Richard" & Lydia Giordano, South Dartmouth, MA