2019 Allens Pond Duck Derby Results
5,972 Ducks Raced on the Incoming Tide & "Meatballs" Took First Place
Event raised over $50,000 for Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary
Adopt Your Ducks
This year was a fantastic 16th year for the Allens Pond Duck Derby with 5,972 rubber ducks racing on the incoming tide at Barney's Joy.
Maureen Jones (Dartmouth, MA) proved it only takes one duck to win—she adopted "Meatballs" as her one and only duck this year! Now Maureen has quite the decision to make—actually, a couple of decisions to make. First, what will her dream vacation destination be? And second, who will she travel with?
Let's take a few steps back to the afternoon of Saturday, August 10, when all those rubber ducks entered the water and raced through the channel at Barney’s Joy. They were competing to win the Grand Prize—dinner for two anywhere in the world, with round-trip airfare and two nights of lodging—as well as 42 other fantastic prizes. It was an absolutely gorgeous day for the race, and enthusiastic race volunteers, viewers, and staff were excited and ready for the big event.
Strong winds created challenging conditions that strained the initial race course, causing a delay of start and reset. However, upon launching, the ducks funneled beautifully through the course and "Meatballs" took first place. Winners came from far and wide—including various locations in Massachusetts, New York, Maryland, Rhode Island, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Colorado, and California. Proof that you don't have to be a local to win!
The Duck Derby Festival that followed on Sunday, August 11, was phenomenal. There were over 250 people in attendance, loads of activities and educational exhibits from Allens Pond and partner organizations, a delicious $10 BBQ with amazing homemade desserts, and live music with Don Legge. A successful silent auction and live plant auction topped it all off.
All in all, over $50,000 was raised! The event was a major success and showed great support for Allens Pond and our conservation efforts, educational programs, and environmental advocacy.
And for those who adopted multiple ducks—we did have some folks win more than once this year, so keep the faith!
Endless thanks go out to all of the volunteers who supported the event. Their hard work and dedication made the entire weekend an amazing affair.
Our thanks also go out to all of the prize donors—40 in total—with special thanks to the 2019 grand prize sponsors: Sylvan Nursery, The Bayside Restaurant, BayCoast Bank, Nye Synthetic Lubricants, Milbury & Company Real Estate, and Oppenheimer, as well as Buckley and Moniz, Village Travel, and Austin Limousine Service.
Festival sponsors were the Feingold Family, Fiber Optic Center Inc., and Whaling City Sound of New Bedford. Tents were generously donated by Sperry Tents, and food for the event was donated by Coastal Roasters, Eva's Garden, and the Bayside Restaurant.
This tremendous combined support is what makes it possible for all duck adoption fees to go directly towards support for Allens Pond.
Below is the official list of winners for the 2019 Allens Pond Duck Derby, in descending order, from 'Slacker Quacker' (last duck in) to the Grand Prize winner ("Meatballs").
If You're a Prize Winner!
Please call the Field Station at 508-636-2437 or email us at email@example.com so we can coordinate pickup and/or mail delivery of your item.
Listed by Prize ($ Value) | Duck Name | Winner Name | Winner's Town/State
- Slacker Quacker – One Free Duck Entry for 2020 Duck Derby ($10) Taco, Sperry Tents, West Wareham MA
- Stealth Duck – Free "Box of 13 Quackers" for 2020 Duck Derby ($100) Clammy Amy, Elizabeth Temkin, Denver CO
- Prize 40 Wind Drift Studio Sharon's Murals and Faux Finishes ($50) Emma, Wendy Goldberg, Westport Point MA
- Prize 39 Wild Honey Cafe Gift Certificate ($50) Jeremy, Jeremy Howard, Little Compton RI
- Prize 38 Village Harbor Sweets Gift Certificate ($50) Eran, Ann Davis, Orford NH
- Prize 37 Sail Loft Gift Certificate ($50) Uncle Neddy + Sasa, Edward Bigelow, Dedham MA
- Prize 36 Peckham’s Greenhouse Gift Certificate ($50) Duck #11, Karen Bjorgo, Minnetonka MN
- Prize 35 Partners Village Store Gift Certificate ($50) Lexicola, Joan Feener, North Dartmouth MA
- Prize 34 Orr’s Farm Gift Certificate ($50) Teddy Raymond, Tess Raymond, Needham MA
- Prize 33 Not Your Average Joe’s Gift Certificate ($50) Mitty 6, Mitty Shaughnessy
- Prize 32 Norton Gallery Gift Certificate ($50) Duck 3, Kathleen + Steven Hurchinson, Lakeville MA
- Prize 31 Folia Gift Certificate ($50) Mr. Jibs, Ruth Gaothier, Little Compton RI
- Prize 30 Farm + Coast Market Gift Certificate ($50) Dickys Ducks, Richard Soule, Brooklyn NY
- Prize 29 Davolls General Store Gift Certificate ($50) Peter, Pam Bermudez, Dartmouth MA
- Prize 28 Dartmouth Building Supply Gift Certificate ($50) Duck 5, Jane Ash, Dartmouth MA
- Prize 27 Dartmoor Gifts Gift Certificate ($50) Duck 19, Lani Peterson Arnzen, Westport Point MA
- Prize 26 Cravings Café & Cakery 3 Months of 6 Cupcakes ($50) Kelly, Pauline Featherstone, Tiverton RI
- Prize 25 Sisters of Solace Holistic Healing Gift Certificate ($70) Victor, Nancy Janelle, Edgewater MD
- Prize 24 New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks! Membership ($75) Duck Norris, Lori Viera, Dartmouth MA
- Prize 23 Flora Gift Certificate ($75) Dave the 1st, Elizabeth Wax, Westport MA
- Prize 22 Cape Cod Cupola Gift Certificate ($75) Silas, Jan Branco, Portsmouth RI
- Prize 21 The Back Eddy Gift Certificate ($75) Brendan K, Rita Kenahan, Little Compton RI
- Prize 20 New Bedford Whaling Museum Four Admission Passes ($88) Lydia, Susan Mead
- Prize 19 Carabiner’s Personal Belay for Four ($90) Susan, David Lincoln, Boxford MA
- Prize 18 Dartmouth Natural Resources Trust Family Mbshp & Gifts ($95) Elizabeth, Joan McKinley, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 17 Westport Concerts at the Point ($100) Alexander, Caroline Bolter, Westport Point MA
- Prize 16 Little Moss Gift Certificate ($100) Ted9, Ted Fitzgibbons
- Prize 15 Country Woolens Gift Certificate ($100) Olive, Mark + Megan Morettini, New York NY
- Prize 14 Beehive Salon Cut & Color with Caite ($100) Mitty 5, Mitty Shaughnessy
- Prize 13 Ace Hardware Dartmouth Gift Certificate ($100) Archie, Kate Fentress, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 12 Westport Rivers Watershed Alliance Mbshp, Tote & Gift ($125) Sam Elkind, Tess Raymond, Dedham MA
- Prize 11 Salt Marsh Pottery Gift Certificate ($130) Nor’Easter, Bob Thatcher, Westport MA
- Prize 10 Tripp’s Boatyard & Marina Three Life Jackets ($135) Lucy, Gay Gillespie, Westport MA
- Prize 9 Carol Veiga Original Artwork ($150) Nora, Christine Hughes, Arlington MA
- Prize 8 Mass Audubon Family Membership & Gift Pack ($150) Phoebe, Judith Turner, Westport Point MA
- Prize 7 Lloyd Center Family Membership & Kayak Tour for 2 ($150) SynSerB5, Katie Digianantonio, Ivorytown CT
- Prize 6 Sylvan Nursery Gift Certificate ($250) Jack, Helen Montague, Dartmouth MA
- Prize 5 Dartmouth YMCA – Two 2020 Youth Camp Enrollments ($250) Fiona, Harold Eckert, New Bedford MA
- Prize 4 Residence Inn One Night Studio Stay & Breakfast ($275) Duck 22, Demarest MacDonald, Dartmouth MA
- Prize 3 Lee’s Market – Crate of Ten Select Wines ($350) Jane Ponda, Isabel Wilder, San Francisco CA
- Prize 2 New Bedford Symphony Orchestra – 2 Season Tickets ($624) Irkalla, John Patterson, Lexington MA
- Grand Prize: Dinner for Two anywhere in the world with airfare & hotel (PRICELESS) Meatballs, Maureen Jones, Dartmouth MA