2018 Allens Pond Duck Derby Results
6,889 Ducks Raced on the Incoming Tide & "Trish" Took First Place
Event raised $58,170 for Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary
Adopt Your Ducks
This year was a fantastic 15th year for the Allens Pond Duck Derby with 6,889 rubber ducks racing on the incoming tide at Barney’s Joy.
Patricia Vasconcellos (Westport, MA) received "Trish" as a participant in the Elaine Seguer Memorial Golf Tournament at the Allendale Country Club in July. And boy, did her little racer do well! Now Patricia has quite the decision to make—actually, a couple of decisions to make. First, what will her dream vacation destination be? And second, who will she travel with?
From all accounts, Patricia's duck, “Trish,” was determined and raced with ferocity among the pack to claim her victory. But her win is a little bittersweet, too. Elaine Seguer was a long-time Allens Pond volunteer and supporter who used to be the Duck Derby's official "duck stamper," stamping the race number on the bottom of each duck. There is no doubt, though, that Elaine would have been thrilled about Patricia's win!
Now, let’s take a few steps back to the afternoon of Saturday, August 18, when all those rubber ducks entered the water and raced through the channel at Barney’s Joy. They were competing to win the Grand Prize—dinner for two anywhere in the world, with round-trip airfare and two nights’ lodging—as well as 45 other fantastic prizes. It was overcast and rainy at first, but the rain stopped and the sun broke through just in time for the race.
By then, loads of enthusiastic race volunteers, viewers, and staff were excited and ready for the big event. Winners came from far and wide—including various locations in Massachusetts, New York, Georgia, Maryland, Rhode Island, Florida, Washington DC, New Jersey, and Costa Rica. Proof that you don’t have to be a local to win!
The Duck Derby Festival that followed on Sunday, August 19, was phenomenal. There were over 250 people in attendance, loads of activities and educational exhibits from Allens Pond and partner organizations, a delicious $5 BBQ with amazing homemade desserts, and live music with Don Legge. A successful silent auction and live plant auction topped it all off.
All in all, a total of $58,170 was raised! The event was a major success and showed great support for the sanctuary and its conservation efforts, educational programming and environmental advocacy.
Endless thanks go out to all of the volunteers who supported all the events. Their hard work and dedication made the entire weekend an amazing affair.
Our thanks also go out to all of the prize donors—45 in total—with special thanks to the grand prize sponsors: Sylvan Nursery, The Bayside Restaurant, BayCoast Bank, Nye Synthetic Lubricants, Compton Catering & Clambakes, and Oppenheimer, as well as Buckley and Moniz, Village Travel, and Austin Limousine Service.
Festival sponsors were were Watchman Waterproofing, Fiber Optic Center, Inc. and Whaling City Sound of New Bedford. Tents generously donated by Sperry Tents and food for the event by Coastal Roasters, Eva’s Garden, and the Bayside Restaurant.
This tremendous combined support is what makes it possible for all duck adoption fees to go directly to support Allens Pond.
Below is the official list of winners for the 2018 Allens Pond Duck Derby, in descending order, from "Slacker Quacker" (last duck in) to the Grand Prize winner ("Trish").
If You're a Prize Winner!
Please call the Field Station at 508-636-2437 or email us at email@example.com so we can coordinate pickup and/or mail delivery of your item.
Listed by Prize ($ Value) | Duck Name | Winner Name | Winner's Town/State
- Stealth Duck "Box of Quackers" for 2019 Duck Derby Lylabelle, William McDonough, Beverly MA
- Slacker Quacker One free duck entry for 2019 Duck Derby Robert Duck, Ken Leger, Dartmouth MA
- Prize 43 Wind Drift Studio Sharon's Murals and Faux Finishes ($50) Chris, Janice Saal, Westport MA
- Prize 42 Wild Honey Café Gift Certificate ($50) Alphonse Canard, Neil Osterweil, Holliston MA
- Prize 41 Wicked Kickin’ Cheesecakes Gift Certificate ($50) Duck #5, Jessica Cook, Westport MA
- Prize 40 Westport Apothecary Gift Certificate ($50) Quacker, Mike Kujan, Finksburg MD
- Prize 39 Sail Loft Gift Certificate ($50) Duck #17, Cindy Sachs, Newton MA
- Prize 38 Peckham’s Greenhouse Gift Certificate ($50) Maria, Michael Albanese, Costa Rica
- Prize 37 Partners Village Store Merchandise & Gift Certificate ($50) Quackers, Joan D. Robinson, Lexington MA
- Prize 36 Norton Gallery Gift Certificate ($50) Goos Golden Goose, Virginia Pasquantonio, Westport MA
- Prize 35 Head Town Landing Store Gift Certificate ($50) Lulu, Caren Harple, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 34 Fresh Foraged Florist Gift Certificate ($50) Gummo, Stanley Stopka, Dartmouth MA
- Prize 33 Folia Gift Certificate ($50) Mosie, Janet Haring, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 32 Farm & Coast Market Gift Certificate ($50) Jingle, Kirsten Towers, Portsmouth RI
- Prize 31 A.S. Deams Gift Certificate ($50) Team Lilith 1, Elizabeth Grady, Worcester MA
- Prize 30 Davolls General Store Gift Certificate ($50) Jean the Bean, Jean Cameron, Tiverton RI
- Prize 29 Dartmouth Building Supply Gift Certificate ($50) Mandin, Ned Newton, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 28 Dartmoor Gifts Gift Certificate ($50) Donna, Peter Kastner, Savannah GA
- Prize 27 Cravings Café & Cakery ($50) Madelun, Maura Gallash, Foxboro MA
- Prize 26 The Comfort of Touch Gift Certificate ($60) Poochie 52, Donald Lankiewicz, Needham MA
- Prize 25 New Bedford Whaling Museum Four Admission Passes ($68) Ripp, Grace Noll, Long Valley NJ
- Prize 24 Sisters of Solace Holistic Healing Gift Certificate ($70) Duck #9, Chris King, Lakeville MA
- Prize 23 New Bedford Art Museum/Artworks! Membership ($75) AM, Alexi Maltas, Washington DC
- Prize 22 Flora Gift Certificate ($75) Caroline, Fred Dabney, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 21 Cape Cod Cupola Gift Certificate ($75) Momma Duck Meg, Megan Zottoli, East Falmouth MA
- Prize 20 The Back Eddy Gift Certificate ($75) Gadwall, Joseph Ingoldsby, Westport MA
- Prize 19 Carabiner’s Personal Belay for Four ($90) Max, Betty Slade, Westport Point MA
- Prize 18 Dartmouth Natural Resources Trust Family Membership & Gifts ($95) Duck #4, Kathy Dietlin, Dorchester MA
- Prize 17 Westport Concerts at the Point ($100) Sydney Poppy, Lisa Correia, Stuart FL
- Prize 16 Beehive Salon Cut & Color with Caite ($100) Mike, Barb & Bill Johnston, Westport MA
- Prize 15 Little Moss Gift Certificate ($100) JB Duck, Cecelia Barratt, Rochester MA
- Prize 14 Country Woolens Gift Certificate ($100) Clair, Nicholas Ogden, Boston MA
- Prize 13 Ace Hardware Dartmouth Gift Certificate ($100) Eddie, Michelle Miller, Providence RI
- Prize 12 Westport Rivers Watershed Alliance Membership, Tote & Gift ($125) Angel #14, Greg Angel, Westport MA
- Prize 11 Salt Marsh Pottery Gift Certificate ($130) Abigail, Gail Brimicombe, Tiverton RI
- Prize 10 Tripp’s Boatyard & Marina Three Life Jackets ($135) Skip #13, John Niles, Westport Point MA
- Prize 9 Mass Audubon Family Membership & Gift Pack ($150) Spodumene, Nancy Smith, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 8 Carol Veiga Original Artwork ($150) Shimmer, Kate Walker, Brooklyn NY
- Prize 7 Lloyd Center Family Membership & Kayak Tour for 2 ($150) Maddie, Becky Demelo, East Freetown MA
- Prize 6 Paquachuck Inn One Night Stay ($200) Grace, Julie Boegehold, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 5 Sylvan Nursery Gift Certificate ($250) Cooper #3, Vincent Calarese, Westport MA
- Prize 4 Residence Inn One Night Studio Stay & Breakfast ($250) Jon, Amy Burnes, South Dartmouth MA
- Prize 3 Dartmouth YMCA Two Youth Memberships ($312) Duck #12, Kristen Morrison, Andover MA
- Prize 2 Lees Wine and Spirits Crate of 10 Select Wines ($350) Izzy-Phil, Eleanor Phillips, Westport MA
- Grand Prize: Dinner for Two with airfare & hotel (508) 864-3191 (PRICELESS) Trish, Patricia Vasconcellos, Westport MA