Thank you to everyone who participated in, fundraised for, and donated to Bird-a-thon 2017.
Together, we raised $230,000 for Mass Audubon’s sanctuaries and programs. Your support enables Mass Audubon to continue to protect the nature of Massachusetts through conservation, education, and advocacy.
2017 Event Highlights
- Bird-a-thon see its highest fundraising total ever! ($230,000)
- Over 750 birders participated in the official competition and many more participated on their own or “just for fun”.
- 2,200 donors supported Bird-a-thon teams and participants.
- The master species total of 270 was just 1 species away from the highest ever master total.
- Moose Hill won the Brewster Cup for most species recorded statewide for the first time ever!
- Joppa Flats won the first ever County Cup for greatest % of county par value.
Bird-a-thon 2017 Winners
Regional Migration Awards
Teams showing the greatest percentage increase in fundraising dollars in their region from 2016 to 2017, excluding the 2016 Statewide Migration Award. Prize: Regional migration winners receive a pizza or ice cream party for their team.
Greater Boston/North Shore Region
Joppa Flats, 38% increase
Wildwood, 82% increase
Southeast, Cape, and Islands Region
Long Pasture, 46% increase
Individual Fundraiser Awards
Statewide winner is individual participant (non-staff) who raised the most money across the state for his/her team. Regional winners are individual participants (non-staff) in each region who raised the most money for their team.
Statewide Top Individual Fundraiser (Non-staff)
Michael Pappone—$7,685 (Conservation Science–IBA)
Winner receives a day of birding with Wayne Petersen OR a signed, framed, and matted 8 x 10 custom digital illustration of his bird of choice by Mass Audubon graphic designer and artist Kristin Foresto.
Regional Top Individual Fundraisers (Non-staff)
Winners receive a $25 Mass Audubon gift card for use in our gift shops or towards programs fees.
Central and West
- Anne Lombard (Arcadia), $1,500
- Mark Fiandaca (Wachusett Meadow), $875
- Nancy Solomon (Moose Hill), $620
Greater Boston and North Shore
- Kathy Seymour (Drumlin Farm), $6,000
- Bill Gette (Joppa Flats), $5,100
- David Weaver (Joppa Flats), $3,775
Southeast, Cape, and Islands
- Briggs Team (South Shore), $1,830
- Josie Anderson (Wellfleet Bay), $1,470
- Lynn Southey (Wellfleet Bay), $1,291
Headquarters and Programs
- Joan Walsh (Conservation Science–Bird Conservation), $1,500
- Tied—Philip Edmundson (Conservation Science–IBA) & Sandy Sutherland (Coastal Waterbird Program) $1,100
High Flyers (Individuals raising $500+)
High flyers are invited to special birding outings with the president of Mass Audubon and a star staff birder.
Ivan Ace, Kay Andberg, Josie Anderson, Patti Austin, Sally Avery, Susan Baeslack, Michael Baird, Christine Bates, Suzan Bellincampi, Bruce Black and Mary Brogan, Leslie Bostrom, Julie Brandlen, Corinne Brauer, LeBaron Briggs, Jean Bruns, Robert Buchsbaum, Stephen Burke, Dan Burton, Amber Carr, Dick Chute, Becky Cushing, Carol Decker, Pat Donahue, Jonathan Donaldson, Jean Dorcus, Liz Duff, Chris Eaton, Philip Edmundson, Erin Ellingwood, Ryan Evans and Darcy Duke, Mark Faherty, Gail Fenton, Linda Ferraresso, Mark Fiandaca, Karen First, Dan Fournier, Nora Frank, Susan Garland, Bill Gette, Ida Giriunas, Nat Goddard, Janet Golan, Mary Griffin, Jude Griffin, Rita Grossman, Marion Hammond, Melissa Hansen, Susan Hardy, Roberta Hodson, Jessica Huddy, Philip Hunsaker, Lisa Hutchings, Janice Jorgenson, Elissa Landre, Constance Lapite, David Larson, Chris Leahy, Amy Lepak, Kirsten Lindquist, Anne Lombard, David Ludlow, Sue MacCallum, Andy Magee, Robert Mayer, Keelin Miller, David Moon, Karen O'Neill, Patty O'Neill, Mary O'Neill, Michael Pappone, Jackie Pascucci, Fran Perler, Wayne Petersen, Linda Pivacek, Gina Purtell, Amy Quist, Alexander Reath, Mary Richmond, John and Linda Riehl, Peggy Sagan, Marsha Salett, Harold Seigel, Kathy Seymour, Norman Smith, Amy Smith, Nancy Solomon, Lynn Southey, Pam Sowizral, Ava Steenstrup, Karen Stein, Patti Steinman, Sandy Sutherland, Alicia Svenson, Melissa Vokey, Angela Walsh, Joan Walsh, David Weaver, Strickland Wheelock, Christine Whitebread, Doug Williams, Mary Wolf, Tom Worthen, Roger Wrubel, Henrietta Yelle, Julia Yoshida
Young Birder Awards (Individuals under 18 raising $200+)
Winners receive specially selected prizes from the Audubon Shop.
- Henri Engstrom
- Michelle Morello