Statewide Volunteer Day
Save the Date
The 12th Annual Statewide Volunteer Day will take place on Saturday, April 28, 2018. We hope to see you there!
11th Annual Statewide Volunteer Day
Saturday, April 29, 2017
Over 750 volunteers responded to our call to show their support for the environment by participating in Mass Audubon’s 11th Annual Statewide Volunteer Day.
As in previous years, volunteers selected from a variety of stewardship projects at one of 16 wildlife sanctuaries across the state. These wonderful individuals, families, and groups raked, filled wheel barrels, planted, pruned, and dug, helping our sanctuaries get ready for the busy summer season ahead.
Among the list of their impressive accomplishments for this year:
- Pulled 9 truckloads of invasive plants (such as Oriental bittersweet and multiflora rose)
- Collected 20 large bags of trash and recyclables
- Groomed 1,030 yards of trails
- Cleaned 12 gardens of leaves and winter debris
- Spread 91 yards of wood chips
- Created a 100-foot fence woven from pruned branches
- Planted 53 trees
- Removed 30 tree stumps and re-purposed them in the Nature Play Area
- Cleared a one-acre field to create habitat for nesting birds and pollinators
To these wonderful volunteers, we say “Thank you!”
You helped us accomplish in one morning many tasks that would have taken weeks (if not months) to complete.
Please help us plan for next year by taking a few minute to complete a brief survey.
If you missed Statewide Volunteer Day, we hope you will consider volunteering at one of our wildlife sanctuaries during the coming year. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved and help Mass Audubon protect the nature of Massachusetts.
You can learn more about Mass Audubon programs and activities by signing up to receive periodic e-newsletters on topics of interest to you.
Thanks again for making the day such a success!
Statewide Volunteer Day is an annual event. We look forward to seeing on Saturday, April 28, 2018! In the meantime, find out about other current volunteer opportunities.