Trail Steward - Tidmarsh
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Do you love Tidmarsh and like to walk the property frequently? If so, join us as a trail steward volunteer. There is constructive meaningful work for many people of any ability or inclination.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Walk the trails on a regular basis, take notes and report changes to the property including potentially hazardous or unpleasant trail conditions (storm damage, trash, tracks)
- Replenish trail map outreach materials as needed
- Document seasonal changes (i.e. make field notes, take photos)
- Opportunity to maintain trails and signage as well as build future trail expansion
- Carpentry skills welcome.
- Enjoy walking the trails and want to get more involved with the sanctuary
- Observant and like to take notes of changes to places
- Enjoy working with others outdoors in different weather conditions
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions
- Training and guidance will be provided to volunteers.
- All volunteers need to pass a background records check (CORI and SORI)
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply