Farm Stand Volunteer
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Are you passionate about food justice and equitable access to affordable, organic vegetables?
The Boston Nature Center is looking for a capable, enthusiastic volunteers to support farm stands in three different locations: Mattapan Farmers Market, Nubian Square Farmers Market and Egleston Farmers Market. Each stand will offer a welcoming atmosphere for shoppers as they select fresh, organic produce from Mass Audubon’s farm stand.
The ideal candidates will also support Mass Audubon’s commitment to climate change education, equity, and justice and bring a diverse range of experiences, expressions, and views to their work.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Set-up farm stand each week with the food delivered from Mass Audubon’s sister sanctuary, Moose Hill.
- Facilitate and provide accurate record-keeping for food coupons, credit transaction and cash exchanges.
- Enthusiastically greet and communicate with customers.
- Communicate in a timely manner with Mass Audubon food team.
- Promote and provide information about Mass Audubon, its mission, and action agenda.
- Maintain a professional work environment, which includes equipment cleanup and storage of program gear and materials.
- Assist with the planning and development of new programs and activities as needed.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Interest in working outdoors, experience or desire to learn customer service skills and learning about local farming practices.
- A passion for food justice and familiarity with climate change.
- Great communication and strong organization skills are needed for this role.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Skills and ability to work with diverse groups, exercise cultural humility, and implement best practices in inclusion.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and work collaboratively as a positive contributor to the team.
Nice to Haves:
- Fluency in other languages (Spanish, Haitian Creole, or other).
- Preference given to candidates from the Boston community.
This position is Saturdays 9 am to 4 pm.
This is a seasonal position, scheduled to end October 1, 2022
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
To inquire about this position, please contact: