Coastal Education Intern
The Coastal Education Intern (CEI) will train with staff to learn about the ecology, human history and conservation projects that are happening locally along the Merrimack River, beachfront and estuary. Themes may include coastal ecology, marine biology, environmental awareness and stewardship, bird banding and migration, and invasive species. Training locations outdoors may include sandy beaches, rocky shores, tide pools, salt marshes, rivers, and ponds.
- Train to assist staff with public programs about local ecology to families, teens, preschoolers and school groups,
- Train to interpret our marine tanks and insect cages for visitors and groups,
- Train to supervise teen naturalists to assist with public programs involving our 110-gallon tide pool touch tank,
- Create signage for visitors about the benefits of smart environmental practices like partial mowing, composting, and creating brush piles,
- Create signage and public displays to educator our visitors and groups about climate change, microplastics, coastal erosion, and shorebird protection,
- Train to design and develop free activity pages about local wildlife for our website called "critter cards".
- Must be at least 18 years of age,
- Experience interacting with people of all ages, interests, and backgrounds,
- Possess strong public speaking skills,
- Experience developing lesson plans and/or activities for children,
- Demonstrate creativity, reliability, flexibility, and enthusiasm, and strong oral and written communication skills,
- Experience with outdoor activities such as birding and tide pooling,
- Valid driver’s license preferred,
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver's).
Compensation and Benefits
This is an unpaid internship.
This internship is for the Fall Term: September - December 2021
Commitment: 12 weeks for approximately 10-12 hours per week
Schedule: Flexible Tuesday through Friday. Some Saturdays may be required.
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to: