Animal Husbandry Intern
An Animal Husbandry Intern (AHI) will train to manage the care, feeding and maintenance of both our marine touch tank and salt marsh tank. The various species of marine life that are in-house include marine invertebrates and estuarine invertebrates and live fish. The AHI will train to conduct weekly water chemistry and monthly partial water changes. Also, the AHI will monitor our onsite bird feeders and bird baths. Lastly, the AHI will develop a simple public display to educate visitors about the importance of composting and will maintain two compost bins onsite.
- Maintain our aquarium tanks; care for and feed their inhabitants (coastal invertebrates and fish),
- Monitor and clean our bird feeders onsite weekly,
- Perform necessary weekly and monthly tank maintenance including water chemistry (NH4, NO2, NO3, pH) and partial water changes,
- Track tank inventory bi-monthly,
- Record weekly statistics in the animal care journal and take regular measurements, photos and videos for the animal collection,
- Assist Joppa Flats staff with field gear and gardening equipment maintenance as needed.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or 16 years with 2 years of experience at Mass Audubon,
- Massachusetts driving license preferred,
- Experience with tank maintenance, animal care, and feeding (salt water preferred),
- Local knowledge of New England coastal ecology and rocky shore species a plus but not required,
- Knowledge of botany or experience gardening a plus,
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills,
- Can work independently or as part of a team,
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver's).
Compensation and Benefits
This is an unpaid internship.
This internship is for the Fall Term: September - December, 2021
Commitment: 12 weeks for 6-8 hours per week
Schedule: Flexible and some weekend work may apply.
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to: