Learn Where Candidates Stand on the Environment
Below are sample questions you can ask candidates during campaign events, or consider while researching their platforms. Rather than forming an opinion based on any one question, we encourage you to explore where candidates stand on a range of issues that include protecting our environment, improving quality of life in our communities, and preparing us for the impacts of climate change.
Mass Audubon is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and as such, is nonpartisan and does not endorse or oppose any candidate for office. Mass Audubon urges people interested in the environment and all others to participate in the democratic process by making their voices heard.
- What are your top environmental priorities?
- Do you support the US re-joining the Paris Climate Agreement?
- What policies do you see as most important for mitigating the US’ contribution to climate change?
- How will you help ensure that Massachusetts reaches our greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals of 25% below 1990 levels by 2020 and 80% by 2050?
- What types of adaptation measures you do support to protect Massachusetts communities from climate change impacts like sea level rise, inland flooding, and extreme temperatures?
- Will you oppose future funding cuts to the Environmental Protection Agency’s budget?
- Do you support increasing the portion of Massachusetts’ state budget that funds environmental agencies (currently, only half a penny of every dollar goes to these agencies)?
Federal & State Level:
- What are some of your environmental justice goals, and how do you intend to implement them?
- Are you in favor of continuing funding for the federal Land and Water Conservation Fund, which safeguards our natural areas and water resources and provides recreation opportunities to all Americans?
- How would you better enable agencies like the Department of Fish and Game and the Department of Conservation and Recreation to protect state forests, parks, rivers, and beaches?
- Do you support increasing the cap for the Conservation Land Tax Credit, which helps incentivize donations of land for conservation purposes?
- Do you support continued protection of the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monument, home to endangered whales, sea turtles, and rare deep-sea corals? Will you oppose attempts at the federal level to roll back its protections?
- Do you support proposed federal legislation to protect the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale, of which there are only 440 remaining?
Transportation & Development
- What are some ways you envision for the US to move to a low-carbon transportation system?
- What are some ways for Massachusetts to move to a low-carbon transportation system?
- What is your position on smart growth and zoning reforms that help ensure housing and development patterns are built in ways that minimize open space loss and reduce vehicle miles traveled?
- How do you think the state could improve its policies in response to droughts?
- What are some opportunities you see for Massachusetts to better incentivize nature-based solutions like rain gardens to restore natural hydrology, reduce pollution, and control flooding?
- Do you plan to take any action to oppose the recent decision to roll back protections through the Migratory Bird Treaty Act?
- Do you plan to take any action to oppose attempts to repeal or diminish the protections provided by the federal Endangered Species Act?
- What policies do you support to protect pollinators, which are experiencing record population declines?