"Meet Beach Creatures" Is Back!
Indoor-Outdoor Tide Pool Critters and Family Activities
This summer, families looking for indoor-outdoor activities for all ages are invited to drop in for fun hands-on learning and the chance to meet tide pool beach creatures at Joppa Flats.
Meet Beach Creatures starts June 29 and runs through August 20.
10:00 am–3:00 pm
- Daily program themes are centered on local ecology and wildlife.
- Family presentations at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm.
- Activities include take-home art projects; examining nature with hand-held microscopes; and self-guided science, puzzles, and games.
- Groups of 10 or more should call in advance.
“Come visit us for an up-close-and-personal look at nature!" says Lisa Hutchings, School and Youth Education Coordinator at Joppa Flats. "We’ve got hands-on science activities for everyone—before the beach, after the beach, or instead of the beach."
There is something for visitors of every age and interest to enjoy!
Our talented team of volunteers and young naturalists will introduce you to tide pool animals in our 110-gallon touch tank and tell you what they are, where they came from, how they grow, and how to safely handle them. Other animal visitors will stop by too, such as caterpillars and tadpoles. Our self-guided science tables are always interesting and interactive.
"And we’ll have the fans or air conditioner on for a break from the summer heat," adds Hutchings.
Weekly Program Topics
Each weekly topic offers different activities and presentations.
- June 29–July 2: Life’s a Beach!
- July 6–9: Go Green!
- July 13–16: Bird World
- July 20–23: Ocean Awareness
- July 27–30: Forests Around the World
- August 3–6: Marine Mammal Mania!
- August 10–13: What is a Fish?
- August 17–20: Nature By Day and Night