The Islands (Martha’s Vineyard & Nantucket)
Getting there is only the beginning! Surrounded by the sea and isolated from the mainland, islands are special places unto themselves. Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket beckon with their unique nature.
- In Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard, Felix Neck’s four miles of trails through woodlands, meadows, ponds, salt marsh, and along shorelines allow for exploration, discovery, and quiet contemplation.
- On Nantucket, Sesachacha Heathlands contains fine examples of coastal heathland and sandplain grassland, two of the state’s rarest habitats.
Get On The Water
- Uncover the story of Sengekontacket Pond’s people, places, history, and wildlife with Felix Neck’s self-guided kayak quest or paddle with our naturalists for a guided kayak adventure.
- For a unique evening, Moonrise Paddles provide a ‘front-row’ seat to watch the moon rise over the water.
- Take cruise along Vineyard Sound on our Marine Discovery Boat Tours.
Join a Program
- At Felix Neck, we offer a variety of programs for all ages including Creature Feature for 3 to 5 year old nature lovers, morning bird walks, Tank Time, and Seashore Discovery.
- Borrow a pair of binoculars from the nature center at Felix Neck and bring our bird checklist.
- Take an upcoming birding program with instructors from Felix Neck.
Send Your Kids to Camp
- On Martha’s Vineyard, Felix Neck’s Fern and Feather Natural History Day Camp has been part of a “Vineyard Summer” for almost 50 years. Campers explore the fields, forest, marsh, and beach, developing a love of nature and creating memories to last a lifetime.
Play in Nature
- Build small and large shelters, jump stumps, or play hide-and-go-seek in a woven bittersweet tunnel hidden in a pine grove at Felix Neck’s Nature Play Area.
- Challenge your brain and body on the Felix Neck Quest; follow clues around the sanctuary to reach a special destination.
- Play a rousing game of Summer Walk Nature Bingo.